Lemon Cupcakes – The Best Recipe
(Makes around 10 depending on the size of the cupcake cases)
Ingredients for the cakes:
140g self raising flour
140g plain flour
200g unsalted butter
200g golden caster sugar
lemon zest from 2 lemons
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the buttercream:
500g unsalted butter
1000g icing sugar (sieved)
2 tsp lemon extract
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (140 degrees for a fan oven)
2. Beat together the butter and sugar.
3. Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
4. Stir in the flour.
5. Stir in the lemon zest, juice and vanilla extract.
6. Spoon into cupcake cases and put on a tray in the oven.
7. Bake for around 15 minutes or until a pale golden brown colour
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Perhaps eat one, if there’s one spare!
9. For the buttercream, allow the butter to warm up to room temperature, and then mix in the icing sugar bit by bit until it’s a thick creamy consistency.
10. Mix in the lemon extract.
11. Put some of your buttercream into a piping bag with a 1M nozzle in the end.
12. To make a swirl of buttercream, start at an outside edge of the cupcake, and slowly circle the nozzle around using a slight pressure on the bag, working inwards until reaching the centre of the cupcake. Then release the pressure, pulling upwards.
13. Eat that cupcake if you fancy it, and then crack on with the rest of them.
14. Serve to your guests to rapturous applause.
If you’ve got a sweet tooth, try my Apple Samosa Recipe
If you liked what you read, please applaud by liking or sharing this post so that more people see it! If you like my style, please sign up to my newsletter where each week I share real life, tips and storytelling. You can also hire me to waffle for you! www.adropofsherry.com